Thursday, January 7, 2010

#403: Cría Cuervos...


(Carlos Saura, 1976)

Cría Cuervos shares a lot with The Spirit of the Beehive. That both films star the same actress at the middle is the obvious connection. But both movies were also made during the final years of Franco's regime in Spain, and both films were subtle critiques of the dictator's era (though The Spirit of the Beehive's critique is more apparent). And of course, both films deal with childhood, particularly the darker side of growing up.

The other similarity is that I didn't particularly care for either film, though I thought they were both well-made. The Spriti of the Beehive is undoubtedly the better film, brilliantly photographed and artfully paced. But Cría Cuervos's message rang truer to me, even if it didn't have any kind of real impact. Both are strong movies, but neither one worked for me. Why that is maybe I'll explore on another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment