Monday, August 22, 2011

#192: Coup de grâce

(Volker Schlöndorff, 1976)

Let's just quickly move over this one without much fanfare. I never felt invested in Coup de grâce, so the film never really hit me. I was impressed with the visual aspects of the film, particularly the sense of time and place evoked by the art direction, costuming, and cinematography. However, the story was so dour and hard to follow that it was difficult to become connected to the characters or sympathize with their plight.

I really enjoyed The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum, so I hope this is just an anomaly in Schlöndorff's catalog and I can go back to enjoying his work in Young Torless and The Tin Drum. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy about this one and explain why I need to give it another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment